Friday, November 16, 2007

Mid Nov

This isn't her happiest expresion, but I like it anyway.

Sorry everyone it's been a while again. Lots have happened in the last three weeks. Singapore is in it's rainy season... or a rainy season... I have no idea how many they have. So it seems that it rains for at least two hours every day, instead of the usual 20 min. It's still hot.




I bike to work every day here. It takes me about 10 min. 15 if I count the time to lock and unlock my bike. It has been really good. Though I did have on e accident a few weeks ago and I think I broke something in my hand. My left hand fortunately. I had thought it was just bruised or sprained so I've not seen a dr about it but it still hurts and I only have about 15% of my strength in it. It's not really so bad. It just makes me a bit crankier than usual.



I've had my birthday. I am now 33. Very old by industry standards. It's been a hard birthday. I realized it's my first birthday outside of Canada. That shouldn't make any difference but it did. I believe I am deep in the miserable stage of culture shock. I'm also heading into a mid life crisis and begin to wonder what I'm gonna do with the rest of my life. This isn't exactly what I want for the next 30 years. And I don't relish the idea of moving into management anywhere. My opinions of management these days are pretty low, and frankly speaking I want better. Lots to think about.

3 comments:

ANDREW WOODHOUSE said...

Hello Ryan!
Sorry to hear you are having culture shock. You are ONLY 33!! Good Lord, that seems like years ago to me, and look, I'm still in the business! You're too young for a mid life crisis. If I can still be doing this, then you certainly can. And it will only get better for you once this series is done. Keep going. Don't give up, you're in a good place.

ANDREW WOODHOUSE said...

PS. Keep up the blog. I love to check it once in a while. It makes me seethe with jealousy though.

Ket said...

Hi Ryan
It was so hard having you in Singapore for your birthday. I wish we could have been there for you. You are in the hard part of the culture shock and it has thrown you off a bit and made you question a lot of things. Remember who you are and who you love and what you love to do. Creative people usually don't like management, it is too restrictive and sometimes not acting in your best interests. It is good to question what you want to be doing and be open to new avenues and experiences. There are a couple of things you need to realize. One - the weather does affect you. It is always better when the "sun shines" and rain is depressing, especially when it is every day. Two - medically - you need to have a dr look at your hand. You don't want to be disabled permanently because you were too stubborn to look after it. It is your livelihood that can be affected. Three - you have tremendous potential to do anything you want to do. You are an achiever. You are creative. You are caring and loving. You have a choice to make. Don't rush into it. Just like a diamond has many facets, so do choices have implications. You have been under tremendous pressure lately with family illnesses, broken promises, injuries and family obligations. They all drain you. You need to take care of yourself as well. Don't give up on yourself.
I also love you blog. I look forward to spending Christmas with you and the family. I am counting the days.

Ket