Saturday, March 31, 2007

My first week here.

I feel confidant that I will make it out here. It is all very different. I am learning about myself everyday by looking at the things I react too. I've never really felt like a minority before, but I am ever aware of how much I stand out. It will take some getting used too. I have more respect now for the people I've know that have gone through this in Canada. It is very hard, and yet strangely simple. By accepting that "yeah I'm different out here so what?" it just goes away. It seems kinda landmarkish, and maybe it is, but it works for me.

I now have a cel phone here. and eventually I will figure out how to use it well enough to get some pictures posted again. All this talky talky and not enough flashy flashy makes for a boring blog. It will get better.

The new job is going well. I'm amazed at the quality of people out here. They are all very young and in experienced, but very sharp and talented. I have enjoyed meeting Amir and Matt in person. They are not what I expected at all but I am very pleased.
I have just eaten a sardine and peanut dish with white rice and a red spicey goo. I can't remember what the dish is called but it was very cheap. I also had a squid otah (I think that is what it was called). It was a squid in some kind of paste wrapped in a banana leaf and baked. Very tastey. ;)

I've enjoyed the food here (though I miss breakfast. They don't seem to have one here, or at least not one like I've known). There is a huge mix of western and eastern foods. I've had lasagna, Macdonald's, Burger King, all the normal stuff, but I've also had lots of new and different things that I can't even name. Every once and a while (Yes I know it's only been a week) I taste something and say, "I have no idea what this is but it's good!". Then I don't ask what the crunch was. It's better I don't know yet.

I've set a personal goal to double the number of shots that go out for final for next week. It will probably mean I will have more time at work to update this blog!

4 comments:

Jon Parkins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jon Parkins said...

Always a good policy when putting unknown entities into your mouth, don't question what it may be ;)

ANDREW WOODHOUSE said...

yeah, Jon, you'd know all about that, wouldn't you. Heh heh heh...

Ryan, Glad to hear that you're doing well!! Good luck with the rest of the week. You've got people here rootin' for you!

Jennielynn said...

OMG! How in the world am I going to live there and eat that food! I should lose tons of weight ( or gain it!) eating only rice! There is no way I can eat first and ask about the crunch later! Yuck! ;-)